Thursday 25 June 2009

Procrastinating

I'm not getting on with writing. Why? I suppose the truthful answer is I'm too lazy to be a PROPER writer. I don't keep up to doing a daily word count. I write loads when I feel like it. But what about the days when I don't? Often it takes me ages to get started. I sit at the computer, full of good intentions, but then I decide that first I'll check my emails, and then I start browsing facebook and reading blogs, then check my emails again. Hey, does writing this blog go towards my word count? But then, I've not even been keeping up to writing my blog lately.

For a long time I blamed my small daily writing output on having to go out to work. It wasn't my fault if I didn't get much writing done. I didn't have the time. What I can't understand is that now I only work part-time, and in theory I have much more time for writing, I do even less than when I worked full-time.

Anyway, enough of this moping. It's all got to change. Yesterday I went to an event at the Hull Literature Festival. Listening to author Clare Allan has fired me up with enthusiasm. I'm going to set myself a daily word count target (not yet decided what that will be), stop making excuses and just get on with it.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm a bit the same. I tend to write more when I'm working more hours at the library bizarrely!

Setting myself a deadline for finishing my first draft has really helped, so I can highly recommend it :o)

Lorna F said...

Jean, I could have written this blogpost myself! I have actually been working hard this week because I'm so sick of my dilatoriness. Like you, I find getting going is the hardest part - and that emailing, blogs etc are terrible distractions. And what am I doing right now? Umm ... Anyway, good luck with your word count.

Jean said...

Hi Karen and Lorna. I'm glad it's not just me.